Friday, July 16, 2010

Border-line Behavior

I apologize if this blog posts twice--a little issue with the wireless connection.

So, everyone tells stories about crossing borders---how long it takes, how annoying getting searched is, etc. This "Crossing the Border" story is a little different. I think by the end of it all, the Border Patrol officer was hoping we would leave instead of the other way around.
When we approached the bridge, there was about 20 cars in front of us. If you figure each car has about a 3 or 4 minutes interview, longer for the RVs who all need to get searched, we surmised that we had about an hour wait ahead of us. This presented a bit of a problem for The Old 76 because she was running a little hot and we really wanted to get into Michigan to get some fresh oil in her.
When we finally got to the toll, the woman was very nice and pleasant, asked us normal questions and then asked us to turn off the car and hand her the keys with the bright orange chicken wing hanging from them so that she could get in and do a little search. Worst. Idea. Ever.
After the search, she told us we were all set. Bobby turned the key and absolutely nothing happened. She asked us if we'd had trouble before and just as Bobby said "No", I nodded my head "yes". Isn't that exactly what you're not supposed to do when the Border Patrol asks you a question?? Lol.
Bobby explained to her a little trick we learned back in Buffalo and she said she would let us try it. They are very cautious at the border; they don't want anyone to get out of their cars, especially not with a hammer and a screwdriver! But she let Bobby try his trick but unfortunately nothing happened. If there’s ever a place you don’t want to break down it’s on a bridge, in the toll, with a hundred angry and hot Canadians behind you. Or in the ghetto of Buffalo. Take your pick. I can’t imagine how ridiculous we must’ve looked to this very serious officer.
We were brought to a mechanic in Michigan where we spent the rest of the day waiting for The Old Seventy 6 to get a new battery, a new starter, and some fresh oil in her veins. At some point during this five hour wait, I took off the tiger’s eye charm that I’d purchased at Howe’s Cave, thinking it might be bringing us bad luck. I didn’t tell Bobby because these are the types of things he usually thinks are crazy. Sure enough, when he noticed and I explained it, he called me silly. I didn’t care, I wasn’t taking any chances.
When we finally got her back and in the best shape ever, we headed to a Walmart superstore, which was bigger than two Costcos put together. Walmarts in the Midwest mean business. We stocked up on motor oil, fresh bread, and a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. As we were leaving the Walmart, it began to absolutely downpour. The wind was unbelievable and a woman next to me said they’d seen funnel clouds in Kapec (?) about 45 minutes away. Okay—which direction is that and where to I drive to get away from it?? If you know me, you know that I’m afraid of two things= 1. Grizzly bears. You can’t outrun them, outswim them, or outclimb them. 2. Tornados. Wizard of Oz anyone??
We decided to camp as soon as we could to avoid driving through the rain. Luckily there was a KOA campground only 5 miles away, and it was beautiful. As Bobby was turning off the camper, I noticed the buffalo wing keychain had gone missing.
“Do you think one of the mechanics stole it?” I asked, thinking any guy would want a chicken wing key chain.
“No,” Bobby said, “I took it off at the border…thought it was bad luck.”

No comments:

Post a Comment